Tuesday, July 05, 2005



The man I love crafted a bat-mobile for our entry in the 4th of July canoe decorating contest our family has every year. . . parading the grandchildren I love in their recycled super hero costumes from our pumpkin decorating contest last fall. This same man (dressed as Batman) rowed them up and down the lagoon at Lake of the Isles while designated cheer leaders waved and cheered on shore (I was one of them). They weren't alone . . . there was a Disney canoe . . . Thomas the Train . . . Clifford the Red Dog . . . PacMan . . .

I just kissed this man goodnight . . . asking him to pray. Tonight's the night I step out of the canoe . . . I said . . . I 've been listening long enough . . . hoping to steal words that might impress the academic community that feeds my hungry mind . . .

Arghhh . . . all I can think of is Batman . . .

3 Comments:

Blogger jeffmacsimus said...

Your words -- marvellously concrete and overflowing with the love of family -- snap me out of my familiar abstractions and academic concerns and give me a taste of life. Thank you. As you step out of the canoe, may you walk on water.

1:09 PM  
Blogger gloria said...

Beautiful!

2:41 PM  
Blogger Tonya said...

One of the beauties of blogging is the opprotunity to be real and vulnerable, sometimes too much so? I dunno. There just isn't enough of that in the world. Take your chances with us...we glean nuggets of truth from all over!

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home