Monday, November 07, 2005














Prayer of consideration: The Lilies of the Field

The lily does not choose in which field it will stand. So do I find myself on a "field".

The lily has no control over what grows around it. When it shoots up, it might have to fight for its life with thorns or clumps of crabgrass. Or it might be outshone by great sunflowers. So I have very little control over what surrounds me.

The lily of the field has no control over the weather--rain or drought, it must simply stand and endure.

The lily came up a certain kind of lily, of a certain color and shape, and its shapeliness and health depended on the spring and the summer, and whether grazing cattle let it grow.

. . . for all that has shaped and misshaped me, for all that has given me health and inflicted ill health on me--I am precious in the eyes of God. He loves me as I am, though would be glad were I to slough off my selfish sins. But they are trash compared to God's creating love in me.

How much of my life growth is my making; how much is God's?

A prayer of consideration . . . for me . . .

Deo Gratias

3 Comments:

Blogger Tonya said...

I so often forget the possibility that maybe what I have chosen to make of my life wasn't in fact, my own making. Thank you for the gentle reminder.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Grandma and Grandpa Benson said...

Tonya . . . you bless me!

9:56 AM  
Blogger Jaime G said...

So many words from you!! I love your voice. I love the picture! I see people, hands uplifted, making "lilies". Thank you for sharing.

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home